Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jesus Christ Rockstar

When I was younger I wanted to be Gavin Rossdale.

I also wanted to be Eddie Van Halen, Chris Robinson, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Popper, Kirk Hammett, Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, Sammy Hagar, Eddie Vedder, Angus Young, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.

But - Really I wanted to be Gavin Rossdale. Why? I don't why. I listened to the album "Sixteen Stone" until the tape wore out. I guess that he was a pretty descent role model, he kept his nose clean. I never heard of him getting into drugs or anything.

You always hear people say things like: "Doesn't he know that he's a role model?" "He shouldn't be doing that?" - Yeah, he shouldn't, but he's human -and humans tend to make mistakes. Your kids aren't going to learn morals from the Michael Jordan's of the world. Our kids need to see morals in their homes. I'm not a parent yet, but when I am, I hope that I set a good example. I hope that my kids see me acting like Jesus would act. Those are some big shoes to fill.

(I want to play bass in Jesus's band - he can be the front man.)


Two people that I forgot to put on that list: Paul Aleshire and Marie Aleshire.

Marie Aleshire picked me up every week for church, she bought me dress clothes, she cleaned my room when I went on vacation, she made me dinner, she watched us when my parents couldn't, she made sure that I knew right from wrong, she scolded me when I disobeyed, she made sure that I was taken care of and - she loved me.

Paul Aleshire picked me up from school, watched me while I slept until my parents got home from work, fixed things when I broke them, showed me how to fix things when I broke them, taught me that there's always time for a good story, taught me that there's always time for family, taught me how to be courteous, taught me how to be generous, taught me that family is everything and - he loved me.

Those two people are my grandparents, they aren't perfect, but every kid should have role models like that in their lives.


Suck on that Gavin Rossdale.

3 comments:

  1. though i admit that i enjoyed sixteen stone as much as the next guy, Rossdale probably shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as some of those other names you put out there.... especially Marie and Paul Aleshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just a nice guy. It's to bad your grandparents don't even know what the internet is.

    ReplyDelete