Monday, May 4, 2009

Coconut Records

I bought an album the other day, on a whim, I do that sometimes. It's really good. It's a solo project by Jason Schwartzman called Coconut Records. There are two album's so far Nighttiming (2007) and Davy (2009)  - I am buying Davy today because the other one was really good. Niighttiming is different, it is definitely an indie album - but it has more of a raw sound than other indie bands. It sound as if he intentionally made the album sound "unpolished". I've heard other bands try to pull that off but Schwartzman does it exceptionally well. He mixes that sound with very "old school" sounding synth and witty lyrics. Here is one lyric that stood out to me as funny and yet sad at the same time.

" i miss you (ooooh…)

I’m goin back home to the west coast

I wish you woulda put yourself in my suitcase"


Well that's my very short music review for today. I have included my favorite off of Nighttiming, if you like it -  be sure an buy the album, I know that it is available on itunes. This download will only be available for 7 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment