Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Tom Show

I have been REALLY busy lately. I started my own business in April of this year "Arrowtech Computer Solutions" - I fix computers and sell office supplies, sell computers, etc. Meanwhile, I am still working at my previous employer Tuesday through Friday - I can't find a second to breathe.

Really it's not 100% true - I mean, it's factually true, all of those things happened - but the time part may have been a stretch. I am horrible at time management. For some reason, I have to take time once a day to watch a T.V. show. I should be able to go one full day without watching T.V. - It's like drug.

Have you ever seen the movie "The Truman Show", some days I feel like Truman Burbank -like today is the same as last. Everyday I get up do the same routine, but on the same clothes (they're clean, don't worry) and I brush my teeth the same way I drive the same route to work sit in the same traffic everyday and do the same tasks at work. I come home and sit in the same chair and watch T.V. go to sleep in the same bed and stare at the same black ceiling for hours. I feel like I'm not making any progress at all. I am running in place.

I recently hurt my back....again - and I had to go see Dr. Nick (Chiropractor). His office is in Newport so it's a little ways down I-75. When I get to the stretch right before Newport where the road straightens out and there is farm land on both sides of the freeway I think about what would happen if I just keep on driving, just drove until I hit that cloud painted screen where the fake world ends.

Then I get off at the Newport exit and go about my day.

2 comments:

  1. According to some sociologists, there are basically two types of television watchers. "Selective' or "habitual." Selective ones are those who are careful to choose what they want to watch, they watch it, and then they move on to other things. "Habitual" tv watchers watch it because they do. They just do. They might turn it on just to watch it, and hope to find something on. They might leave it on in the background as a kind of soundtrack for life. "Selective" watchers are much more likely to be involved in social and civic activities than "habitual" watchers. And "selectives" are usually much more purposeful about connecting with others on an emotional basis, as compared to "habitual" watchers who struggle with connecting in ways that seem real and meaningful. -- Is the it tv that is causing this, or is the tv habit a result of some preset social mindset? Know one knows for sure. But know this: I really like Fringe and I can watch Chuck sometimes without feeling like I'm wasting my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like someone needs a vacation or at least break the daily routine. Paint the walls. Go for a hike.

    I think making time for TV like you do might be similiar to me. It requires little to no effort and there's an assumption at possible reward; being entertained on some level.

    Usually it's a let down. Try a good book, or paintball.

    ReplyDelete